When it comes to picking out perfect presents for loved ones, think ‘inside the basket’ this year. Putting together a bespoke bundle of goodies shows you’ve given real thought into choosing a present. It is fun and lets you show off your creative side. It can be cheaper than buying a pre-packed gift box, and it's easy to do too. If you’re not sure where to start, follow our step-by-step guide to put together a Christmas gift basket for smiles all round.
Getting started with gift baskets
The first thing you need to do is decide on your theme. Think about what your loved ones enjoy doing and use that as your starting point. For example, do they love to cook or are they always at the spa?
Choose one main item
Next, decide on one main present for your gift basket that fits your budget. For example, if the recipient is a coffee lover, you could buy a new coffee machine. At the other end of the budget scale, you could choose a new mug for them.
Next, finding the little extras
The extras that you put into the gift basket are what make it unique. You can spend as much as you want, but even adding just one or two accessories will show you’ve carefully thought about the gift. For example, if you’ve chosen a coffee machine, some coffee cups or a thermal take-out mug, a coffee grinder, and some specialist coffee beans would be the ideal accompaniments.
You could buy a wicker basket or brightly coloured box to display your gifts, or you can use part of the present itself as the packaging. For example, a mixing bowl filled with baking goodies. Keep everything up together by wrapping the basket in cellophane and for the perfect finishing touch, top it off with ribbon and glittery gift tags.
Are you in need of inspiration?
Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Spice gift basket. Does your loved one enjoy spicy food? Treat them to a spice rack, filled with their favourite herbs and spices, and a mortar and pestle. To add a special personal touch, write out one of your favourite curry recipes.
- A gift basket for keen bakers. If they love to make cakes, you need a basket that will help them to create a real show-stopper. You could start with a food processor and include a gorgeous set of measuring cups to add a touch of class to everyday baking or a cake stand for showing off their baked marvels.
- The gift of ‘me-time’ with an indulgent spa-inspired basket. Line your basket with indulgent, soft towels and fill with their favourite bath goodies and treats. A couple of gorgeous scented votive candles complete this gift basket that’s perfect for anyone who you think deserves some time to relax.
- Cheese connoisseur hamper. If the cheese course is their menu favourite, a gorgeous marble cheese board could be just the thing. Add a cheese knife and some trickles of their favourite cheeses. If you want to add a personal touch, you could include a jar of homemade chutney too.
- Pasta gift basket. If you know someone who loves pasta, put together a set of pasta bowls with a pasta server, cheese grater, and speciality rainbow pasta from Italy.
For more ideas and inspiration for the holidays, take a look at our range of gifts or head to one of our Dubai stores.