At the cutting edge of kitchen cutlery
A high-quality set of knives is a kitchen essential that makes cooking more enjoyable and delivers better results. From precision blades for every job to cutlery sets and storage blocks, we’ve handpicked the best.
What to look for in a kitchen knife
When it comes to choosing knives for preparing food, it’s rarely a case of one-size-fits-all.
- Take the knife for a test drive. At the very least hold it to decide if it is comfortable and easy to use. If possible, have a go at chopping with it.
- How heavy is it? Weight tends to be personal preference, with some chefs preferring a heavy, solid knife while others go for something lighter.
- Does the knife feel balanced? The better the balance, the easier it is to use.
The right tools for the job
The right tools for the job make preparing and eating food easier.
- Steak knives are essential for carnivores who enjoy a Wagyu ribeye.
- Specialist bread knives slice through the daily loaf without tearing it.
- If space is limited, opt for a multi-tasking general-purpose chef’s knife. The long blade and sharp narrow point tackles a number of jobs in the kitchen.
- A Santuko Knife is a Japanese classic with a blade designed to let food fall away during cutting to make slicing ingredients easier.
Keeping knives safe in a knife storage block
The sharper the knife the better it works. But that means safe storage is a must, especially in a family home.
- Wall mounted knife racks keep sharp blades safely out of the way.
- A knife storage block positioned on the worktop keeps blades covered and allows easy access during food preparation.
Slice, dice and chop with flair and control with cutlery knives from Crate and Barrel. For more kitchen and dining inspiration, visit our blog.